Take Me Home Tonight (movie review)

Take Me Home Tonight (film 2011)
Starring Topher Grace and Anna Faris
My rating is 2 out of 5.
Yes, harsh I know. And I usually like 80’s throwback movies. The clothes alone are worth watching 80's inspired movies. I rented it from Redbox. I had a free code and it was between this or Bridesmaids. I had heard Bridesmaids was funny, but the lure of seeing 80’s clothes and dancing was too strong.
This movie is about this supposedly really smart guy, an MIT graduate, named Matt (Topher Grace) who works at a video store (the actual videos that have brown tape in them that takes 10 minutes to rewind). He does not know what he wants to do with his life, so he’s not making any decisions at all. His twin sister Wendy (Anna Faris), who seems really smart too, has applied to graduate school and is too scared to open the letter from the university at the beginning of the movie and instead accepts a marriage proposal from her idiot boyfriend.
First of all, they totally don’t use Anna Faris’ comedic talent in the movie. Then Topher Grace’s character hovers between average and a loser. He sees his high school crush, Tori (who for the whole movie I thought was Kristen Stewart from those Twilight movies and she was actually Number 6 from the I Am Number Four movie), and spends the whole movie trying to woo her without telling her the whole truth about himself.
It was a mediocre movie at best. Not even a good romantic comedy. And Topher’s “sidekick” Barry (Dan Fogler) is not even funny. I did not laugh at this movie and the dancing was not 80’s enough. Anybody could have played the part of Matt and Wendy. The music was classic 80’s and I liked the songs. I knew some of them (not because I was an 80’s child but because I listen to the Big 80’s Weekend on B98.5 FM out of Atlanta every weekend.) The acting was decent, but the script was not really original in the least. I guess it was supposed to be like the movies from that era, and unfortunately became too much like the movies from that time concerning storyline. So since I’ve probably seen more 80’s movies than people my age (34), I’ve probably seen this storyline a few times.
I would not recommend this movie nor would I watch it again even if it came on TV and nothing else was on. I didn’t give it a 1 out of 5 because I like Anna Faris, even if she was not funny in this one.

Comments

  1. Awww so sad, I was going to watch this movie. I like the song, though. Thanks for the review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this movie rated R?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't review this, but I looked it up to get you your answer, and Yes. It is rated R.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn Colclasure Guest Post

Tricia Stewart Shiu Guest Post

Blogariffic Blog Hop Information Post!