The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron

Sorry that I've been slacking on my reviews!  I've been trying (keyword: trying) NaNoWriMo and so far its been kinda flop because I am easily distracted and changed my story 4 days into it.  (And I just need writing lessons lol.)  Most of my reviews have been YA so I'm reviewing something different today. 


Title: The Spirit Thief
Author:  Rachel Aaron
Published October 1st by Orbit
ISBN: 0316069051
Series: The Legend of Eli Monpress #1


Summary (from Goodreads): 
Eli Monpress is talented. He's charming. And he's a thief.

But not just any thief. He's the greatest thief of the age - and he's also a wizard. And with the help of his partners - a swordsman with the most powerful magic sword in the world but no magical ability of his own, and a demonseed who can step through shadows and punch through walls - he's going to put his plan into effect.

The first step is to increase the size of the bounty on his head, so he'll need to steal some big things. But he'll start small for now. He'll just steal something that no one will miss - at least for a while.

Like a king.



My thoughts (quickie review):  
I love thief books, just putting that out there.  I haven't read that many but there is something very appealing about thieves... they're kinda like ninjas!  But April, you may ask, what do ninjas have to do with the book?  Pretty much nothing... so onto the review!


The book starts off with Eli, having a lovely conversation with a door.  Which in my opinion, sets up the mood of the book and Eli's character perfectly.  In the world of Eli Monpress, everything has a soul.  Yes, this includes rocks, trees, and doors.  Eli goes to far lengths to raise his bounty and one of the many who try to capture him is Miranda, sent from the Spirit Court to end Eli's abusive ways on using spirits.  On the outside, Eli just seems like the thief who steals for no reason other than to steal and raise his bounty.  However, I think we learn more about that in the next book ;)  


I LOVED Nico.  I cannot even express with words of how much I love her.  Even though she is more of a side character, I just think she's pretty badass and I'm a sucker for romance.  I adore her and Josef's relationship :D  I am so excited for book 3, which is titled The Spirit Eater (which I would assume, is about her).  


Even though in some ways the book was not what I expected, it had lots of exciting surprises :D.  Despite the fact that the synopsis, title, cover is about Eli, I personally didn't think of him as a main character.  Most of the book was from Miranda's perspective, which turned out being okay because I think she is easy to relate to and I think you get a good perspective from her, not really knowing what's going on, etc.  I like how it switches around and each character has their own little problem and sub plot which will probably be tied up in the end.  


Overall: I loved it!  Fun, witty, and entertaining book of fantasy.  4.5/5 :D 


Yes, I struggle with emoticons :P.  I'm really trying to stop using them.  Probably annoying to see in a review.  :P

Comments

  1. Thanks for the follow. I'm returning the favor.

    P.S. I probably use emoticons too much as well.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn Colclasure Guest Post

Tricia Stewart Shiu Guest Post

Blogariffic Blog Hop Information Post!